Hello

Hello and welcome to my Blog. I'm Victoria, I own and run a website selling educational toys for 0 to 5 year olds. I have 2 little helpers who roadtest all my toys and help me discover new toys to aid their development as they grow. With this blog I hope to bring together exciting news and special offers from the website, brilliant baby / toddler ideas for anyone in contact with growing little people and hopefully a few giggles.
Take a look at my website http://www.babydazzlers.com

Saturday 9 January 2010

Snowed In!

I love the snow but it does make it hard to get about especially with two little people in tow.

As we are experiencing minus temperatures it is no surprise that I have been thinking about the summer and how this country deserves a great one. My frozen extremities must have fuddled my brain as I decided that this is the year I grow my own vegetables and involve the girls. I must point out that I have NEVER had an interest in gardening, we don't have a patch of grass at our house. The mowing of the lawn caused too many arguments so we decided on a Japanese style garden with evergreen bushes, shale and a lovely water feature. Very low maintenance but still lovely to look at.

How are you going to grow veg? I hear you ask.......

In pots and containers. You can actually buy veg growing seeds especially for patio gardens. I picked up a few sachets at a local garden centre.

I don't think it will be an easy task though, after reading the instructions there is a lot more to growing veg than throwing some seeds in soil!! I'll give it go, watch this space.
I thought I would ease myself and the girls into it by buying some cress seeds. I remembered making Cress Heads at school and how easy it was.

What we did next........

Decorate an eggshell (or an empty yoghurt pot) with a funny face
fill the eggshell or pot with cottonwool or layers of kitchen roll
dampen the cottonwool or kitchen roll with a little cold water
sow your cress seeds onto the damp wool/paper

Keep on a well lit windowsill, keep moist and watch them grow. Eventually the cress will have grown so long that your funny faces will have funny green hair to match.

Cress Heads not only show kids how things can be grown but also shows that you can eat what you grow encouraging healthy eating. Snip some of your funny face's hair and sprinkle on a egg mayo sandwich - fantastic

No comments:

Post a Comment